Recovery following ex cyclone Gita continues
Power restoration efforts continue as do the challenges presented by access issues. In some areas we cannot get vehicles and equipment to the damaged power lines. Regrettably customers in those areas will need to prepare for another night without power.
Areas where we cannot restore supply tonight are:
- Marahau Hill, Motueka side: 8 customers without power. Lines are down and we cannot access them.
- Marahau Valley: 17 customers without power. Poles are down and we cannot access them.
- Brooklyn Valley: 40 customers without power. Trees have brought down the lines and we cannot access them.
The following areas remain uncertain:
- Takaka Hill/Riwaka Valley: 60 customers without power. We patrolled on foot this afternoon. No lines are down and we will attempt to liven tonight.
- Moss Road: 26 customers without power. We will patrol on foot this evening. Depending on what is found we may attempt to liven this evening.
Waiwhero Road has been restored but this area may require a short shutdown in the next couple of days to restore the network to its normal configuration.
We expect Dodson Valley to be fully restored this evening.
As power can be restored at any time please treat all lines, electrical installations and wiring as live. Stay clear of downed lines and stay clear of trees that have fallen over lines.
Our thoughts go out to all those affected by this event.
Electric vehicles are attracting a lot of interest in our region and it's great to see the community using the charging stations Network Tasman has installed.
Two new stations to fill up your car are being built in the region but there won’t be a drop of fuel in sight. Rather than the traditional petrol and diesel pumps, the two stations in Takaka and Nelson will be pumping energy.