Emergency plan for ex tropical cyclone Gita
Network Tasman has an emergency plan in place and we are doing everything we can to prepare for ex tropical cyclone Gita. Our critical staff and contractors are on standby, our emergency stores are stocked and our vehicles are fully fuelled.
With a little planning you can be prepared for an unexpected power outage.
Make sure you have:
- A torch and extra batteries.
- A fully charged cell phone or a land line phone that doesn’t require electricity or fibre.
- A supply of water that isn’t dependent on an electric pump.
- A BBQ or gas cooker.
- A supply of matches or a lighter.
If a member of your household is medically dependent on electricity you should have an emergency plan in place. In addition to the above it should include:
- An established network of people you can call on for help and their contact details.
- Knowledge of your medical equipment:
- Does it have an audible “no power” alarm that will alert you to a power failure?
- Does it have battery back-up or a standby source of power and for how long?
- Do you know how to use the backup or standby equipment and are you confident that you could operate the equipment in an emergency.
- Instructions on how to manually operate an electrically operated garage door.
- An evacuation plan that includes where you will go, how you will get there, a prepacked bag with the things you will need and if necessary arrangements for your pet. Remember to notify family and friends who might be concerned for you.
Because the power can be restored at any time, treat all lines, electrical installations and wiring as live during an outage.
If your power goes out turn off any sensitive electronic equipment such as entertainment systems, computers, and washing machines at the wall. This can help to protect them in the event of voltage fluctuations when the power is relivened.
To report a power outage, damage to the power network or a public safety issue on the network phone 0800 508 100.
Check our website for information on outages www.networktasman.co.nz